Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Birthday: Let Them Eat Everything but Cake

I don't know when I decided it, but FOOD was to be the central focus of my birthday this year.

On my Birthday's Eve Ryan and I ate a delicious 7 tapas spread at Dali in Somerville.

Here are the highlights:

-Gambas al Ajillo | Garlic Shrimp 
-Vieiras al Azafrán | Scallops in Saffron Cream
-Alcachofas Salteadas | Sautéed Artichoke Hearts
-Queso de Cabra Montañes | Baked Goat Cheese w/Tomato & Basil  

Usually a gluten free girl, I threw caution (and concern of a major belly-ache) to the wind and ate at least one slice of bread with each dish. Well worth it. I blame their Red Sangria and the genuinely warm and gracious atmosphere.

We each had one desert item:
-Me: Tarta de Chocolates (Like I would get get anything other than chocolate!)
-Ryan: Lauren's Budin de Pan | Lauren's Bread Pudding w/Rum & Cherry Sauce 

It was a romantic and satisfying meal with no singing... it was perfection.


We followed up on the day of my birthday with a trip to visit friends in Tyngsboro, MA and pick some apples. Little did I know that my lovely friends Jebb and Suzanne were going to offer me bounty from their fantastic garden as well! Radishes, squash, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, and a stunning bouquet of pale yellow and black sunflowers.


We apple-picked at Parlee Farms. I stuffed a peck ($17 for about 15 lbs) full of Honey Crisps, Macintoshes, Fortunes and Empires.

We fed some goats.
We watched some bunnies.
We pet some sheep.
We crowed with the roosters. 
We walked in the flowers.

Perfection... Again.


Recipes to come for apple crisp, apple tart, and carrot-apple muffins (ALL GLUTEN FREE).

I am STILL eating the benefits of a birthday well spent.

There was no cake... but it was one of the best birthdays yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment